Friday, November 22, 2013

A Simple Appeal

By Justin Gray

I am not a theologian. I am not a scientist. I am not a doctor. I'm just a person.

When I was growing up, my father often said of himself jokingly: "I am not a Rhodes scholar, but I am a road scholar because I've learned a lot on this road of life" - I feel much the same way.

To be clear, by no means do I think he opposed education or the greatly educated; nor do I for that matter. On the contrary, I do honor and admire those who have given their lives in order to scale the lofty heights of academia that they may breathe that rarefied air.

It is often these men and women who share with us valley dwelling villagers a perspective from the mountain tops. And I admit that I often dare to dip my face to drink from the fire hydrant of their knowledge, albeit at the risk of being smothered; a very refreshing and yet overwhelming expense.

So in light of my intellectual mortality, I'd like to apologize in advance to those giants who may stumble upon the pebble of this post.

Now on to my simple appeal.

I beg my fellow villagers to listen carefully.

Have you not noticed that there is something wrong?

We rise in the morning and set about our days with great concern for our time, grooming, and business travel. Once to work we are daily pressed by our occupations for better results despite our greatest efforts.

Have you not heard this call of excellence from within and without?

We return home only to spend our evenings fighting back the disarray which creeps into our homes also known as "cleaning". 

Do we not also with great exertion pull together tightly the fabric of our relationships as to avoid the threat of a breach? What is this force that tries to tear us away from each other?

Have you not noticed the many temper tantrums of nature?

Too often are we subject to her meteorological mood swings. Violent waves and swirling winds. Angry storms and the quaking earth. What has made her so upset that she seems to rail against us?

Have you not noticed that there is something wrong? I have.

I have wrestled long with this question only to discover that in asking the question I acknowledge that things are not as they should be. Everyday I notice a little more that something is wrong and everyday I do try to make things right; I think we all do.

Do you see it now?

Haven't you noticed that in all of our trying it seems as though something is still wrong. So we find ourselves waiting, but we are not sure for what. Hoping, maybe one day, it will get better.

Now I make my appeal.

You may not be a theologian. You may not be a scientist. You may not be a doctor. So I simply appeal to your person.

Could it be that the call of excellence to us both from within and without points to a goodness beyond ourselves?

Could it be that the wrong we notice creeping in us and over us only indicates our great need for things to be made right?

Could it be that nature is upset (just as we are) and awaits the day when things will be as they should.

Could it be that what we call 'wrong' could be called 'sin'?

Could it be that the only hope of better things is from God?

This is my simple appeal. Please consider it carefully.

Romans 8:18-25



No comments:

Post a Comment